Monday 13 October 2008

Distracted by bicycles and darkening nights

Today I planned to go out for a long run, but I didn't get out at all, grrrrr....

The trouble is, I'm starting a new job tomorrow. This one won't be by the canal, so maybe I'll need to become Canal, River and Royal Parks Explorer, as it's in Westminster! I am yet to find out whether they have a shower in the building to enable lunchtime runs.

Because of this new need to travel to work (rather than a 3 minute stroll, shock horror), I decided to buy a new bicycle as my old one has been out of action for almost a year now on and off, and has never been all that ride-able as it was second hand, purchased from a man who builds them in his back garden in Whitechapel (introduction by another ex-boyfriend, it's good to tap them for such knowledge while you have the chance - he also taught me to play cricket).

My problem is, I am romanced by bicycles that look beautiful (especially really heavy retro-looking city bikes with 3 gears and a big bell), and can't bring myself to get enthusiastic about functional and sensible bikes... BUT I'm a cycling wimp - the less effort I have to make the better, and I want to use it to go out of town on cycling holidays and things. So I really need something comfortable.

Today, rather predictably, I fell in love with a cream-framed beauty with shiny red metal mudguards and a big wicker basket ('The Pashley'). I knew it was out of my price range, but I decided to take it for a test ride, only to discover that it was neurotic and annoying and impractical. But I still loved it for how it looked. It was a bit like falling in love with a model who is hung up about her figure and whinges a lot and won't do anything in case she breaks her nails. But she is soooo beautiful that you think maybe you can overlook those minor difficulties....

The outome was that I spent so long in the shop that it was getting dark and I couldn't go for the eagerly planned long run, how sad. Nor did I come home with a new bicycle, beautiful or otherwise, but I am going back tomorrow in the hope of finding my perfect match which is alright looking but fun to be with and keen to go on adventures. Maybe I'll find a bicycle too.

2 comments:

kerstin said...

Yes I love those old shopping bikes too...I cycled to Brighton once on a 3 gear shopping bike, got lost, ended up on a motorway...got there at nightfall, white-faced, exhausted.
I do miss cycling though...trouble about living at the top of a hill!

Good luck with the new job, I'm sure you will charm them and impress them!

Canal Explorer said...

Thanks Marmite Lover! Respect for making it to Brighton on a 3 gear - that is hardcore! I have been eyeing up lots of attractive bikes in Shoreditch tonight, they all have lovely thin elegant frames in nice colours with metal mudguards, but they all seem to have 3 gears. What is that about? Why is no bike manufacturer providing for my niche desire of retro looking with the functionality of a new bike??

Been for a run yet Marmite Lover? I've not been out all week!!! But I do have girls' reasons for that (which I will abstain from blogging about), plus change of job = change of routine.

X